Chettinad Vegetable Biryani
Chettinad style Vegetarian Biryani -- spicy, flavorful and delicious dish.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 onion (- large, thinly sliced)
- 1 cup tomato (puree)
- 1 potato (- medium, peeled and chopped)
- 1 carrot (- medium, peeled and cut into long sticks)
- ½ cup green beans (- chopped)
- ½ cup cauliflower (- cut into florets)
- 1 pepper (Green - small, chopped)
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 2 chilies (Green - slit (add more if you like it spicy))
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- to taste Salt
- ¼ cup onions (Fried - homemade or storebought)
- 3 tbsps mint leaves (- finely chopped)
- 2 tbsps cilantro (leaves - finely chopped)
- 1 red onion (- small, chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coconut (Grated)
- 2 ginger (" - piece, grated)
- 3 ~ 4 cloves Garlic
- 5 ~ 6 red chili ((adjust as per taste) Dry)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cinnamon (" stick)
- 4 cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 pods Cardamom
- Prep the Rice: Rinse and soak the rice for at least 30 minutes. Then boil the rice in 4~5 cups of water along with salt, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, 3 cardamom pods and 1" cinnamon stick. Cook until the rice is 70% cooked, about 8~10 minutes. Drain the water and set it aside to cool.
- Make the Masala/ Spice Paste: Heat 2tsp il in a pan; add the ingredients under 'Masala' except for coconut. Cook until the spices are nicely toasted and smell fragrant. Cool slightly and grind into a smooth paste along with coconut and little water.
- Make the Vegetable Curry: Heat 2tbsp oil and 1tbsp ghee; add bay leaf, cumin seeds and cook till seeds start to splutter. Add the onions and green chilies, cook till the onions are slightly browned around the edges.
- Add the veggies and cook covered until the veggies are tender. To speed up the process, veggies can be microwaved until tender and then added to the onions.
- Add turmeric and the ground masala paste, mix well and cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 4~5 minutes. Finally add salt and garam masala; mix well and turn off the heat.
- Make the Biryani: In a heavy bottomed deep pan; add 1/3rd of the rice - followed by ½ of the curry; 2nd layer: 1/3rd of the rice and the remaining ½ of the curry; final layer: remaining rice - fried onion and chopped mint and cilantro. Cover tightly with the lid and cook for 10~15 minutes.
- Serve hot with any raita.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout