Chewy Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Chewy Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies ~ these spiced molasses cookies have been upgraded with dark chocolate for a 'best of all worlds' holiday cookie.
approximately 2 1/2 dozen
- 1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 0.25 cup molasses
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp powdered ginger
- 0.25 tsp cloves
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg
- 0.25 tsp allspice
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. I do this in a stand mixer but you can use hand held beaters as well.
- Beat in the egg and molasses.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and spices together and add slowly to the bowl. Mix gently until the dough comes together. You can finish bringing it together with a large spoon. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form or scoop small balls, I like to use my 1 1/2 in cookie scoop, but you can also use a tablespoon. I like to push in a few extra chocolate chips to the top of the dough ball.
- Roll in a small bowl of granulated sugar to coat. Chill the balls in the freezer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Bake on an un-greased baking sheet, 2 inches apart, for 9-10 minutes. I always do a test cookie or two to see how my oven performs. The cookies will look puffed and slightly underdone, but they will firm up (and develop those gorgeous wrinkles) as they cool.
- Let them cool slightly on the pan before transferring to a rack.