Chewy Chocolate Ginger Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Chewy Chocolate Ginger Cookies have all the charms of a classic ginger cookie, with a hint of chocolate to deepen the flavor.
makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 large egg
- 0.25 cup molasses
- 1.75 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ginger
- 0.25 tsp cloves
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg (freshly ground!)
- 0.25 tsp allspice
- extra sugar for rolling
- Set oven to 350F
- Cream the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder until creamy.
- Blend in the egg and molasses.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and spices to together. Add to the wet ingredients and blend just until combined. Don't over mix.
- Scoop dough into small balls, I used my 1 1/2 inch diameter cookie scoop, and roll them in the sugar to coat.
- Set the dough on an ungreased cookie sheet ( you can line with a silpat mat or parchment paper) at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes depending on size. They will look slightly under done, but will firm up as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack.