Chicken in Lemon Sauce with Olives
The View From the Great Island
Chicken in Lemon Sauce with Olives is an easy, healthy meal bursting with the vibrant flavors of the Mediterranean.
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 small chicken breasts, skin on
- olive oil for brushing
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 large egg yolks
- 0.5 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, strained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 0.5 cup black olives
- fresh thyme leaves
- Set oven to 400F
- Arrange the chicken pieces in an oiled baking pan and brush liberally with olive oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and bake for about 35 minutes, or until done through. Baste several times during the cooking, and finish under the broiler if you need more color.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk the egg yolks in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Heat the chicken stock to boiling in a saucepan, and then add about 1/2 cup of the hot stock to the egg yolk mixture, adding it in a slow stream, while whisking. This will get the yolks' temperature up without scrambling them. Then add that back into the pan with the rest of the chicken stock, and heat gently on medium, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to get silky and thicken. Don't bring it to a boil, or even a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce on the bottom of a casserole bit enough to hold all the chicken. Arrange the cooked chicken on top of the sauce. Scatter the olives and thyme over everything and serve right away.