Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders
From a Chef's Kitchen
Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Chicken Sliders are perfect for when you’re in the mood for a barbecue sandwich but you’re not in the mood to go out or go to a lot of trouble.
- 1 small red onion (coarsely chopped, divided)
- 10 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (divided)
- 2 teaspoons salt (plus more for seasoning sauce )
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (plus more for seasoning sauce)
- 2 average split chicken breasts (on the bone, with the skin)
- 0.5 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 slider buns
- coleslaw (purchased or homemade)
- Fill a large saucepan with water about 3/4 full.
- Finely mince about a heaping 1 tablespoon of the onion; set aside.
- Place remaining onion, garlic, bay leaves, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, salt and black pepper along with chicken into water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Combine the remaining Worcestershire, ketchup, mustard, molasses, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Heat canola oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Cook the minced onion 2-3 minutes or until begins to soften. Stir in sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook 3-4 minutes to thicken slightly and for flavors to blend. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl and shred meat with two forks, discarding bones and skin. Toss chicken with sauce. Serve immediately over slider buns with your favorite coleslaw.