Skillet Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping
From a Chef's Kitchen
Skillet Turkey Pinto Bean Chili with Pepper Jack Biscuit Topping is a one-dish meal your family will be excited to dig into!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey, white, dark or mixed
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) chicken broth
- 1 canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoons hot or mild chili powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 can (15-ounce) pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- biscuit TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups Pepper Jack cheese
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the green bell pepper and continue cooking another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and chili powder. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the pinto beans and keep warm.
- BISCUIT TOPPING
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Cut butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the cheddar cheese. Add the buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Press mixture into a 1/4-cup measuring cup to form 9 small, even biscuits. (You may need to squeeze it together a little bit so that it adheres.) Place the biscuits on top of the chili.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chili is bubbling. Serve immediately.