Tomato Topped Hatch Green Chile Mac and Cheese
From a Chef's Kitchen
Love cheese? Love some heat? This Tomato Topped Hatch Green Chile Mac and Cheese is destined to become your new favorite mac and cheese!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable ( oil plus more for the baking dish )
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole or 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 8 hatch green chiles ( roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a deep 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions in salted water, being careful not to overcook (leave as al dente as possible). Drain in a colander and cool under cold running water. Drain well and toss with canola or vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Heat 6 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly until sauce thickens slightly, being careful not to boil it. Add the cheese by handfuls, whisking after each addition. Keep whisking until cheese is incorporated and sauce is smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in macaroni and green chiles. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Place tomato slices over the top.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Season breadcrumbs with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the tomatoes.
- Cover lightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes or until hot, bubbling and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen