Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili
From a Chef's Kitchen
Chipotle Chicken and White Bean Chili packs a lot of flavor for not a lot of labor!
- 1 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 can (15-ounce) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper or Poblano pepper (chopped)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican )
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 can (28-ounce) green enchilada sauce
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), cut into several large pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cans (15-ounce) cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup cilantro
- sour cream and chopped scallion (for serving)
- Combine the chipotle pepper(s) and chicken broth in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, green or Poblano pepper and jalapenos, reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add garlic, cumin, oregano and bay leaf and cook 30 seconds.
- Add green enchilada sauce, chicken broth/chipotle combination and chicken. Bring to a boil and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cool slightly.
- Shred the chicken, add it back to the chili along with beans. Bring back to a simmer to heat through. Discard bay leaf and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream and scallions.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen