Crack Pie Bars
The View From the Great Island
These innocent little Crack Pie Bars are based on the famous Milk Bar Crack Pie ~ they're much easier to make, but equally as addictive!
- approximately 15 oatmeal cookies (to make 1 1/2 cups crumbs), look for plain cookies without raisins
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 0.5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup brown sugar (do not pack)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 0.33333333333333 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks, well broken up with a fork
- powdered sugar
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a 9x9 square baking pan. You can line it with parchment for easy removal later for cutting, but this is optional.
- First make the crust. I crushed my cookies in my food processor. I wanted them to be super fine. You can do them any way you like, as long as you end up with 1 1/2 cups finely crushed cookies.
- Mix the crumbs with the melted butter and sugar and blend well. I do this right in the processor.
- Pat the crust firmly into the bottom of your pan.
- To make the filling,, cream the butter and sugars together until well combined. Work out any lumps in the brown sugar as you go.
- Blend in the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325F and open the door until it gets there.
- Close the oven door again and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the filling is golden and no longer very jiggly. (It can be a little jiggly in the center, but not all over)
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate until completely chilled. Dust with powdered sugar, slice into small squares and enjoy.