Crack Pie Bars
The View From the Great Island
These innocent little Crack Pie Bars are based on the famous Milk Bar Crack Pie ~ they're much easier to make, but equally as addictive!
- approximately 15 oatmeal cookies (to make 1 1/2 cups crumbs), look for plain cookies without raisins
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar (do not pack)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks, well broken up with a fork
- powdered sugar
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a 9x9 square baking pan. You can line it with parchment for easy removal later for cutting, but this is optional.
- First make the crust. I crushed my cookies in my food processor. I wanted them to be super fine. You can do them any way you like, as long as you end up with 1 1/2 cups finely crushed cookies.
- Mix the crumbs with the melted butter and sugar and blend well. I do this right in the processor.
- Pat the crust firmly into the bottom of your pan.
- To make the filling,, cream the butter and sugars together until well combined. Work out any lumps in the brown sugar as you go.
- Blend in the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325F and open the door until it gets there.
- Close the oven door again and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the filling is golden and no longer very jiggly. (It can be a little jiggly in the center, but not all over)
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate until completely chilled. Dust with powdered sugar, slice into small squares and enjoy.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island