Cranberry Gingersnap Pie
The View From the Great Island
This Cranberry Pie with its spicy gingersnap crumb crust and silky cranberry curd filling brings a little va-va-voom to the traditional dessert table!
- 5 ounces gingersnaps
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
- 1.5 cups sugar, DIVIDED
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- of salt
- 0.5 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temp and cut in pieces)
- sugared cranberries
- fresh thyme sprigs or mint leaves
- Set oven to 350F
- Put the gingersnaps in a food processor and process until they are fine crumbs. (this should be a heaping cup) Add the walnuts, and sugar and process again until everything is finely ground. Add the butter and process briefly to combine.
- Pat the crust into a 9 inch pie plate, and up the sides. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Put the cranberries, 1 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer the cranberries, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until they've popped and the mixture is quite thick. Let cool slightly and then puree until completely smooth.
- Whisk the puree, the eggs, yolks, salt, lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar together in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, this will take about 10 minutes or so. Stay by the pan the whole time and stir!
- Push the curd through a mesh strainer, using the back of a spoon to get it all through.
- Let the curd cool for a few minutes and then drop the room temperature butter in, bit by bit, while you stir to melt it.
- Pour the curd into the pie crust and smooth out evenly. Chill the pie until it is firm, about 2 hours or so.
- Decorate with sugared cranberries if you like.
- To make sugared cranberries, roll damp cranberries in granulated sugar and let dry.