Cranberry Walnut Wild Rice Porridge
The View From the Great Island
Cranberry Walnut Wild Rice Porridge ~ swap out your oatmeal for this gluten free hot cereal full of antioxidants, protein, and fiber.
- 1 cup Floating Leaf Organic Wild Rice in Minutes!
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup milk, half and half, or cream
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup roasted cranberries (see instructions below)
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar (optional)
- Put the wild rice in a strainer and rinse under cold running water for 60 seconds. Put in a medium saucepan and add the 3 cups water. Stir and bring up to a boil. Turn the heat way down, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Strain off excess liquid.
- Put the wild rice back in the sauce pan and add the milk or cream and maple syrup. Bring back to a simmer and gently cook for another minute or so.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls and add the cranberries, nuts, and a sprinkle of dark brown sugar. Enjoy!
- *To flash roast your cranberries, just put them on a baking sheet and roast in a 350F preheated oven for about 5 minutes, just until they turn bright and glossy, and some of them have popped. This turns an unappealing raw cranberry into an irresistibly sweet/tart delight!