Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh
The View From the Great Island
Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh ~ a twist on Middle Eastern cracked wheat salad, made low carb and gluten free with cauliflower rice. It's a healthy vegan salad.
- 1 small to medium head of cauliflower
- 2 cups small cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ small red onion (finely minced)
- 1 small cucumber (finely chopped)
- 1 large handful fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 handful fresh mint (finely chopped )
- ½ cup pine nuts
- olive oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 juice of lemon
- sald and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- fresh mint leaves
- Remove the bottom core from the cauliflower and break into sections. Remove most of the stems, and break apart into large florets. Add the florets to the bowl of a food processor. I do this in two batches. Pulse the machine, about 20 to 30 times, stopping a few times to scrape down the bowl and check the progress. You want the cauliflower to become evenly and finely crumbled. Pulse a few more times if necessary. Turn the cauliflower rice into a large bowl.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and toast the pine nuts over medium to medium low heat until they turn fragrant and nutty brown. Stir almost constantly so they don't burn.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and fresh herbs to the cauliflower and toss to combine.
- Whisk the dressing together and taste to adjust to your liking.
- Toss the tabbouleh with the dressing, then top with the pine nuts, fresh mint leaves, and lemon wedges.