Cream of Brussels Sprout Soup with Butter and Turbinado Toasted Almonds
From a Chef's Kitchen
Want to do something creative with Brussels sprouts this holiday season? Try this show-stopping soup starter!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts,
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 0.33333333333333 cup ricotta cheese, whole or part-skim
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 0.25 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until onion is softened, being careful not to brown it.
- Add the garlic and all but 4 of the Brussels sprouts. Stir to coat with the fat. Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are very tender.
- Add the ricotta cheese and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Thinly slice the remaining Brussels sprouts.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Add the sliced Brussels sprouts and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, being careful not to brown them. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the almonds and the sugar and cook, stirring often until the almonds being to brown slightly. (They can burn very quickly!)
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate, spread out slightly (it's okay if they're touching) and let cool.
- Serve soup topped with some of the cooked sliced Brussels sprouts and some of the almonds.