Patisserie Makes Perfect
A recipe for the classic Creme Patissiere used a base in a vast amount of patisserie dishes.
- 1 vanilla pod (or 2.5tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 500 ml milk
- 120 g granulated sugar
- 50 g cornflour
- 6 egg yolks (about 120g)
- 50 g butter
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Bring the milk, vanilla pod or extract and seeds to a boil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and let infuse for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the sugar and cornstarch(or custard powder) in a medium bowl. Add the egg yolks.
- Whisk just until the sugar is combined, do not let it get too pale.
- Whisk a third of the milk into the egg mixture to loosen it.
- Whisk in the remaining milk and return the mixture to the saucepan, straining it through a fine sieve and cook over a medium heat, whisking constantly.
- As soon as the pastry cream begins to thicken, remove it from the heat.
- Whisk in the butter until smooth.
- Scrape the pastry cream into a bowl and cover with a layer of clingfilm, pressing it down so it touches the surface of the cream. This will stop a skin forming.
- Allow to chill completely.
View the recipe instructions at Patisserie Makes Perfect