Delicious Quinoa Chocolate Cake
The View From the Great Island
Amazing Quinoa Chocolate Cake ~ this naturally gluten free cake is moist and delicious ~ it's easy, too ~ just whip it up in the blender!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup almond milk, or dairy milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon confectioner's sugar,
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and line a 9-inch nonstick cake pan with a round of parchment paper at the bottom.
- Melt butter.
- Put the quinoa, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to combine and then process until smooth, this will only take about 30 seconds or so.
- Add the sugar, 1/2 cup of the cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, and salt to the bowl and pulse to combine well.
- Turn into the prepared pan and bake for about 40-42 minutes until a toothpick comes out without wet batter sticking to it. Remember that if your pan has different dimensions, your cooking time will vary.
- Let the cake cool on a rack for about 15 minutes before turning out of the pan. Be careful when you flip the cake over as it will be delicate. I like to place a plate over the pan and then gently flip both over together.
- When the cake is completely cool, frost.
- To make the frosting whip the cream until it is starting to thicken, then add the sifted confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder. Continue beating until thick and spreadable. Don't over beat!