Dill Pickle and Brat Soup
The View From the Great Island
Dill Pickle and Brat Soup is a delicious surprise ~ smokey brats, tangy dill pickles, and potatoes in a sour cream broth, if you love pickles, it's for you!
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 3 large red potatoes (skins on), cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 32 ounce carton chicken broth
- 0.5 cup pickle juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 0.5 cup fresh dill (chopped)
- 3 cooked brats, grilled and sliced (you may want to cut each slice in half, for smaller pieces)
- 0.75 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- fresh dill
- thinly sliced pickles
- Coat the bottom of a heavy pan with olive oil and saute the onion and carrot for about 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, up to but not including the sour cream, and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Mix the flour and sour cream together until completely combined, and stir in to the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook for a further few minutes.
- Serve garnished with sprigs of dill and thinly sliced pickles.
- CROCK POT METHOD: Put everything in the crock pot up to, but not including the sour cream, etc. Let it cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in the sour cream and flour mixture, and cook for another hour until smooth and slightly thickened.