Easter Bunny Ear Cookies
The Honey Blonde
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ zest of lemon
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- fondant in white
- luster dust in pink
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla, then mix in slowly until fully incorporated.
- Slowly mix in flour 1 cup at a time. Mix in lemon zest and salt with the first cup.
- Roll the dough into a large ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- when ready to bake, preheat oven to 330 degrees.
- Roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick, or thicker, and cut into desired shape. Cut out a small sliver at the bottom of the cookie wide enough to place the cookie over the lip of a mug or cup. Place on a baking sheet about 1/2 inch apart. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until just barely browned on the edges.
- Let cookies cool. Meanwhile, roll fondant out to about 1/16th of an inch. Cut out the fondant in the same shape as the cookie.
- Brush the back of the fondant with water, then place on top of the cookie. Press down to make sure that the fondant is completely affixed to the cookie.
- Brush the center of the fondant with pink luster dust to create the look of the inside of a bunny's ear.
- Turn cookie over and cut out the fondant where the cookie has been cut. Smooth freshly cut edges.
- Place two cookies on a mug or coffee cup to turn the mug into an Easter Bunny!