Easy 30 Minute Vegan Tortilla Soup
This hearty and comforting Vegan Tortilla Soup is an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner! This one pot meal is topped with simple homemade tortilla strips.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- ½ jalapeno ( seeded and diced)
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (14.5) oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the tortilla strips
- 10 corn tortillas ( (try this easy homemade recipe!), cut into 1/2 inch strips)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Soup toppings
- pickled jalapeno
- diced avocado
- a juicy squeeze of lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tortilla strips on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with chili powder and salt. Toss evenly to coat. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the strips are crispy and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the tortilla strips are in the oven, start the soup. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has started to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and chili powder and sauté for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with tortilla strips and other desired toppings. Enjoy!
View the recipe instructions at Catching Seeds