Easy Sweet Potato Red Lentil Dal
This recipe is so easy and full of goodness, you will love it!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil OR avocado oil
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika ((more for a spicier flavor))
- 4 cups cubed sweet potato
- 2 cups split red lentils
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 5½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- optional for serving
- lime wedges
- toasted cashews
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about another 30 seconds. Add in the curry powder and paprika and cook, stirring constantly until the spices are fragrant, up to 1 minute.
- Add in the sweet potato, lentils, tomato paste, bay leaves and water. Bring up to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are extremely tender. Add in the salt and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaves and ladle into bowls. Serve with optional cilantro, lime, and cashews.