Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
Experience lentil joy with this easy and crazy good Thai Red Curry Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste (or to taste)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups red lentils,
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) coconut milk, light or regular
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish if desired
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy pot such as a Dutch oven. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and red curry paste, give it a quick stir, then add the broth, sweet potatoes, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover slightly and simmer until potatoes and lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir in cilantro.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen