Farmhouse Cabbage Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kielbasa
From a Chef's Kitchen
My Farmhouse Cabbage Soup with Cannellini Beans and Kielbasa is rustic, hearty and some of the best soup you'll make all fall and winter long!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup tomato or vegetable juice
- 0.5 head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound kielbasa (pork or turkey), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cans (15-ounces each) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 0.5 cup fresh parsley
- Heat canola oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the carrot and celery and cook another 4 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato or vegetable juice, cabbage, kielbasa, garlic, paprika and curry powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover slightly and cook until the cabbage is tender, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the beans and heat through. Adjust seasoning if necessary and add salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in parsley.