Firecracker Chicken Lettuce Wraps
The View From the Great Island
Low carb eating just got a whole lot more interesting with my Firecracker Chicken Lettuce Wraps! Who needs rice when you've got crunchy lettuce leaves?
- 1 lb chicken tenders ( cut in small, even dice)
- vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion ( cut in small dice)
- 4 bell peppers (multi colors, cut in small dice)
- 4 dried hot pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 head butter lettuce ( individual leaves separated)
- sliced green onions
- ¾ cup pineapple juice (canned is fine)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok until hot and stir fry the chicken, in two batches, until it is no longer pink. Remove to a plate.
- Add more oil and saute the onion, ginger, and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the peppers, both sweet and hot, and stir fry for another few minutes. The peppers should be bright and crunchy, don't let them get soft. Remove to a plate.
- Add the sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring or whisking until it thickens. Add the chicken (and any juices) and the peppers etc back into the pan and give everything a good mix. Continue heating until everything is nice and hot.
- Serve spooned onto the lettuce leaves and top with the sliced green onions. Or, spoon the sauce into a bowl and let people serve themselves.