Flourless Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
The View From the Great Island
My Flourless Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies are gluten free, dairy free, and utterly delicious ~ these flourless cookies are protein rich energy boosters!
- 3 cups Raw Pecans (or 1 cup pecan butter)
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar (use light or dark, I used dark)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- If you are making your own pecan butter, you have the option of using raw pecans, or toasting them to deepen their flavor first. To toast, spread out on a dry cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, giving the pan a shake once halfway through.
- Put the pecans in a food processor or high power blender and blend until you get a smooth butter. This will require scraping down the sides of the processor to make sure all the nuts get processed. The mixture will go through a dry grainy stage, then will gradually become finer and moister as the nuts release their oils, and finally will transform into a smooth butter.
- Measure out 1 cup of pecan butter into a mixing bowl with the egg, sugar, and baking soda. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out tablespoon sized balls of dough and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. I use my 1 3/4 inch cookie scoop for this. I like to add a few extra chocolate chips to the surface of the cookie dough before baking. Push them into the dough gently.
- Bake for 8 minutes or just until set. The cookies will look under done, but will firm up as they cool. Be sure your oven is at the correct temperature before you bake. I keep an oven thermometer in my oven at all times so I can be sure.
- Cool the cookies on a rack.