Flourless Warm Lemon Pudding Cake
The View From the Great Island
Flourless Warm Lemon Pudding Cake ~ this easy self-saucing lemon sponge cake is magical. Use Meyer lemons or regular lemons for this tangy dessert.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (soft)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 heaping Tbsp lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup almond meal (almond flour.) You can use regular all purpose flour as well.
- pinch salt
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk (shake before measuring)
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar (this helps stabilize the egg whites)
- powdered sugar
- berries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F Lightly butter 6-8 oven safe bowls, ramekins, or mugs Arrange them in a baking pan and put the baking pan on a baking sheet for easy transport. Put a large pot of water on the stove to simmer for your water bath.
- Cream the soft butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, letting each one get incorporated before adding the next, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Blend in the lemon zest, almond meal, and salt, then mix in the buttermilk and lemon juice until everything is well combined.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they become glossy and hold stiff peaks. Lift your beaters straight upright ~ the whipped whites should hold their points and not flop.
- Fold the egg whites gently into the batter until no more white streaks or large lumps of egg white remain. Do this gently so you don't deflate the beaten whites, and be patient, it takes a few minutes.
- Pour boiling water into your pan with the ramekins to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Ladle the batter into each of the bowls, filling almost full. Depending on their size you'll fill 6-8.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the cakes are set on top and not super jiggly. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar and serving. Be sure to enjoy it warm!
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island