French apple turnovers
Cake and Whisky
Light, crisp, buttery, filled with warm cinnamon sprinkled apple, these classic French apple turnovers are the perfect autumn snack and just so apple-ing!
- 1 roll of all-butter puff pastry
- 2 medium cooking apples
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 6). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll the pastry. Using a 5in round cookie cutter, cut as many disks as you can.
- Peel, core and cut the apple into small cubes. Pop into a small saucepan with the cinnamon and maple syrup and cook on low heat until it reduces to a puree.
- Lay the pastry disks onto the lined baking trays.
- Top each disk with a spoonful of apple puree. Make sure you leave a good border at the edges.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg, then fold each disk in half. Close the edges carefully with a fork, making sure each turnover is properly sealed.
- Brush each turnover with beaten egg.
- Bake in the middle self for 15-20 min until golden.
- Devour promptly - French apple turnovers are best whilst still warm in the middle!