French Lentil Salad
From a Chef's Kitchen
French Lentil Salad is a lovely and delicious way to ring in spring! With radishes, young green beans and baby lettuces, it's perfect for that first dinner on the patio!
- 1 cup green lentils
- 6 slices bacon
- 8 ounces small green beans (haricot verts)
- 8 -10 radishes
- 0.5 cup pitted Kalamata or Nicoise olives
- 2 to 3 cups frisee lettuce
- 1 small shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely fresh thyme
- 0.33333333333333 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- SALAD: Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook on high for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender but not falling apart.
- While the lentils are boiling, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-line plate to drain.
- When the lentils have about a minute or two to go, add the green beans. Drain in a sieve or colander and cool under cold tap water. Drain well then transfer to a large bowl. Add the radishes and olives.
- DRESSING: Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over lentils and vegetables as needed and stir. (You may not need all the dressing as you don't want it soggy.)
- TO SERVE: Place frisee lettuce in a large serving bowl. Top with lentil mixture and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.