The View From the Great Island
This moist Fresh Tangerine Cake is guaranteed to get your morning off to a better start --- the icing bursts with fresh tangerine flavor!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour (use the fluff, scoop and level method of measuring)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick () unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup fresh tangerine juice (about 1)
- ¼ cut buttermilk
- zest of 3 tangerines (don't skimp)
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- for the frosting
- ¼ cup crème fraîche
- ⅛ cup fresh tangerine juice
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar,
- zest of 1 tangerine
- Set oven to 350F
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the zest and extracts.
- Mix the tangerine juice with the buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet ingredients to the mixer, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. If using a stand mixer, give it a final stir by hand.
- Turn the batter into a 8x8 square baking pan. I line mine with parchment paper with overlapping edges for easy removal. If you don't use parchment, lightly spray the pan.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it. Let cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the creme fraiche and tangerine juice together, along with the extract. Add enough confectioner's sugar to make a nice spreadable frosting. Add more juice if it is too thick.
- Frost the cooled cake and top liberally with the tangerine zest.