Gingerbread Muffins with Lemon Glaze
The View From the Great Island
Gingerbread Muffins with Lemon Glaze ~ the scent of gingerbread baking is one of the joys of the season --- these muffins are perfect for holiday mornings.
- 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 grams) baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup (105 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (120 ml) molasses
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- for the lemon glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Set oven to 350F
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating in between.
- Beat in the molasses.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Don't over beat.
- Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups, lightly greased or lined with muffin papers.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a straw comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a rack.
- Cool completely and then glaze with the lemon glaze.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island