Gingerbread with Spiced Rum Buttercream
The View From the Great Island
Gingerbread Cake is a wonderful old world dessert!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 0.66666666666667 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp cloves
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- spiced buttercream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar,
- 3 tbsp spiced rum
- milk or cream to thin
- Set oven to 350F
- Combine the boiling water with the baking soda and set aside.
- Beat the butter until fluffy, then add the sugar and cream them together well.
- Add the molasses and water/baking soda mix.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add them to the wet.
- Beat in eggs.
- Pour into a well greased pan. This recipe makes enough batter for a 9x12 rectangle baking pan, but I wanted to use my 9" round springform pan, so I had enough batter left for 6 cupcakes. Go either way, but be sure to grease up your pan well, this cake is sticky.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes for the rectangle, and a little longer for the springform, 40-45 minutes. Cupcakes will take about 14 minutes, till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, blend the soft butter and sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rum and then the milk or cream, a tablespoon at a time, beating well, until the frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.