Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake
The View From the Great Island
Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake--this citrusy bundt cake is packed to the gills with the essence of fresh grapefruit and positively loaded with poppy seeds.
- ¾ cup (yes, you read that right) poppy seeds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of 2 grapefruits
- 5 tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter,
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- dry ingredients
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
- for soaking
- ½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1½ cups confectioner's sugar
- several Tbsp of fresh grapefruit juice
- Set oven to 350F
- Grease a standard bundt pan.
- Put the buttermilk in a small bowl and add the poppy seeds, grapefruit juice, and zest. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Add about 1/3 of the flour, then 1/3 of the buttermilk, and continue until everything is well combined.
- Spread the batter in the bundt pan. Smooth the top slightly to make sure it is even.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until the top is risen and golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 to 15 minutes and then loosen the cake all the way around the pan and invert it onto a plate. If you have trouble removing it, rap the bottom of the pan sharply on a firm surface and try again.
- Flip the cake back over so the risen side is up. Make little holes with a skewer all over the top and then spoon the fresh juice all over the top, letting the juice seep into the cake. Do this slowly so the juice has a chance to soak in.
- When the cake is completely cool. pour the glaze over it, and enjoy.