The View From the Great Island
Icebox Tiramisu is a mash-up between classic tiramisu and a good old fashioned ice box cake. Did your mom ever make the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer cake?
- ⅔ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup cold instant espresso (or brewed espresso, or very strong coffee)
- ⅓ cup Kahlua
- 20 nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer cookies
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate for grating
- Whip the cream until it starts to thicken. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until it's firm and holds it's shape.
- Mix together the espresso and kahlua and set aside.
- Take four glasses or small dessert bowls and layer one cookie at the bottom of each. Spoon 2 tsp of the espresso mixture on top, spreading it around so the entire cookie gets soaked.
- Grate a layer of chocolate over the top of the cookie, using a microplane or small grater.
- Put a dessert spoon full of cream on top of the cookie and chocolate. Take another cookie and lay it on top of the cream, pressing down slightly to spread the cream out. Continue layering until you have 5 layers, ending with whipped cream and a final sprinkling of chocolate.
- Cover loosely and put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, to get really cold.
- Note: If you are making these in mason jars, don't put on the last topping of whipped cream, just screw on the caps and refrigerate until ready to serve, then top with the last layer of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.