Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
The Recipe Critic
This Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken is simple and easy to make in the pressure cooker and perfect for busy weeknights. The chicken cooks up tender and juicy in a buttery lemon garlic sauce.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (skinless or with skin)*
- sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- ½ small Onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- juice and zest of one lemon
- ⅓ cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth**SEE NOTE
- chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish, if desired
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot (I used a 6 Quart DUO) and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and allow to sear on each side for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan. Cook for 1 minute then add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEAL.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, allow to naturally release for 2-3 minutes then using a long spoon push the valve to RELEASE, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- (**If you want to thicken the sauce - make a cornstarch slurry using 1 teaspoon of cornstarch whisked with 2 teaspoons cold water and stir in the Instant Pot. Press SAUTE and allow to bubble and thicken up. )
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
View the recipe instructions at The Recipe Critic