Japanese Pork Dumplings with Ginger and Green Onion
The View From the Great Island
Japanese Pork Dumplings with Ginger and Green Onion ~ these tender pot stickers are even better than the ones at your favorite restaurant!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch spring onions (trimmed and finely sliced, white and green parts.)
- 1 package of 50 gyoza wrappers
- vegetable oil
- reserved sliced green onions
- sesame seeds
- dipping SAUCE
- ½ cup Tamari soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Put the pork in a large mixing bowl, breaking it apart as you add it to the bowl.
- Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sliced green onions. Use your fingertips or 2 forks to gently but thoroughly mix all the ingredients together without compacting the meat. At this point the meat can be well wrapped and refrigerated until needed.
- To make the gyoza, dip your finger in water and run it around the edge of the round gyoza wrapper. Place a small amount of the meat (between a teaspoon and a tablespoon) in the center of the dough and fold it half, pressing the center top together firmly with your fingers. Make small pleats, 3 on each side, with the front part of the dough, and press each pleat firmly at the top to make a half moon shaped little packet.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet that has a well fitting lid with oil. Heat the oil on medium high until hot. Add the gyoza, flat bottom side down, into the pan. Work in batches so you don't crowd your dumplings. Cook for about 2 minutes, without moving, until they are a rich brown on the bottom.
- Pour 1/4 cup water right into the pan and cover immediately. Let the dumplings steam for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through. The pork needs to reach 160F.
- Serve the dumplings immediately, garnished with more sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and dipping sauce on the side.
- To make the sauce, whisk all the ingredients together, then taste to adjust any of them.