Jeweled Wild Rice
The View From the Great Island
Jeweled Wild Rice is a joyful gluten free vegan recipe and a make-ahead friendly side dish for the holidays. Serve cold as a grain salad or as a warm pilaf.
- 4 cups cooked wild rice (cook it in broth or stock for more flavor)
- ¼ red onion (finely minced)
- 2 inner stalks of celery (finely diced)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice (to taste)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cups total of the following:
- sliced or slivered almonds
- pistachios (rough chopped)
- dried cranberries
- dried Apricots (diced)
- black and golden raisins
- microgreens or baby greens
- pomegranate seeds
- Put the wild rice into a large bowl with the onion and celery.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and taste to adjust any of them to your liking.
- Toss the rice with enough of the dressing to moisten thoroughly. Be sure to stir the dressing first if it has separated.
- Toss the rice with the dried fruits and nuts.
- You can now chill the rice if you are not serving it warm. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- When ready to serve, toss with more dressing if necessary, and arrange on a bed of baby arugula or micro-greens. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds.