Kale Sprout, Spinach and Arugula Gratin with Cambozola
From a Chef's Kitchen
Kale Sprout, Spinach and Arugula Gratin with Cambozola is the perfect side dish to pair with simply roasted meat or poultry this fall and winter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large shallot (sliced)
- 1 (6-ounce) bag kale sprouts (halved)
- 2 (5-ounce) bags spinach and arugula mix or 1 5-ounce bag of each for a total of 10 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 slices bacon,
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces Cambozola cheese (rind removed), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup coarse dry breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high in a saute pan. Add the shallot and cook 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the kale sprouts, reduce heat to medium and saute 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Add spinach and arugula and cook until it just wilts. Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and bacon. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in the saute pan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1-2 minutes, being careful not to brown it. Add the half-and-half and bring to boil, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in the Cambozola cheese and continue whisking until melted and smooth. (Will be fairly thick.)
- Pour sauce over the greens and gently stir so that the greens are covered with the sauce.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until bubbling and heated through.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen