Kesar Mango Phirni
Kesar Mango Phirni or Saffron Mango Rice pudding is a creamy and delicious dessert that is perfect to make ahead of time.
- ¼ cup Basmati Rice, rinsed and soaked for 1 hour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Mango Puree (from a medium ripe mango)
- 2 pinches saffron
- 3 tbsp sugar (adjust according to taste preference)
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp pistachios (chopped)
- Soak saffron in 2~3tbsp warm milk. Set aside.
- Drain basmati rice and grind to a coarse (semolina/ rawa) consistency. Mix the rice with 3~4tbsp milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour the remaining milk into a heavy bottom pan and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 4~5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice mixture slowly into the milk while stirring continuously to avoid lump fomration. Simmer until rice is cooked through and the mixture is thick, about 6~8 minutes.
- Next add the sugar, almonds, pistachios and saffron milk. Stir well and cook till the sugar is melted and the phirni starts to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in the mango puree and mix well. Chill for a couple of hours before serving. Garnish with chopped mango and more chopped nuts, if desired.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout