Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
The View From the Great Island
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are an old favorite around here!
makes 12-14 muffins
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted, and slightly cooled
- 1 cup yogurt
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup Poppy seeds
- lemon glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- lemon juice
- Set oven to 375F
- Put the sugar and zest in the bowl of a small food processor. Turn the machine on and process until the lemon zest has been thoroughly incorporated into the sugar. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides. Let it go long enough so the zest is really finely ground. The sugar will smell incredibly like fresh lemons!
- Whisk the sugar, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cooled butter together with the yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing just until everything is combined, but don't over beat the batter or your muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin cups fitted with paper liners. You will have a bit of batter leftover after you fill 12 standard muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the muffins are risen and golden, but watch carefully and don't over bake. You can check with a toothpick if you like.
- Cool the muffins on a rack before glazing.
- Make the glaze by stirring enough lemon juice into the sugar to make a spreadable consistency. You can spread the glaze on the muffins, or dunk them in headfirst.