Lemony Buttermilk Chicken Skewers
The View From the Great Island
An overnight marinade leaves these Lemon Buttermilk Chicken Skewers impossibly tender, and they get a cooling flavor boost from the Rosemary Tzatziki sauce.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 lemons
- 3 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- tzatziki sauce
- 0.5 cup regular yogurt
- juice of lemon
- 3 tbsp (approximate) fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch salt
- Cut the chicken into large chunks of equal size. Aim to get about 16 pieces so you will have four chunks per skewer. Put them in a large zip lock baggie, or a large bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, the juice of one lemon, and garlic, and pour over the chicken. Make sure all the chicken is coated, then seal the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours or preferably overnight.
- To make the sauce, put the rosemary leaves in a small food processor and pulse to chop. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. Taste to adjust any of the ingredients. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
- Set oven to 400F and line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Slice the remaining lemons on the 1/8 inch setting of your mandoline slicer. You can use a sharp knife, but make sure the lemons are sliced thinly enough that they are pliable.
- Thread four skewers with alternating chunks of chicken and two slices of lemon. I fold the lemon in half before threading onto the skewer.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat until quite hot. Brush the pan lightly with oil and brown each skewer for a couple of minutes per side, until nice and brown. Transfer to the sheet pan and finish cooking in the oven, about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your chicken chunks.
- Serve immediately, drizzled with the sauce.