Lentil Walnut Veggie Burgers with Avocado Tzatziki Sauce
From a Chef's Kitchen
Lentil Walnut Veggie Burgers with Avocado Tzatziki Sauce are hearty enough for a carnivore!
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (grated)
- ½ large red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ⅔ cup walnuts
- ½ cup panko (regular or gluten-free)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- non-stick cooking spray
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns
- red lettuce
- red onion slices
- tomato slices
- broccoli sprouts
- avocado slices
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 large avocado (peeled and seeded)
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small English cucumber ( seeded and chopped)
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook 15-20 minutes or until very tender. (It's okay if they're falling apart slightly.) Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 5-7 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the carrots and red bell pepper and continue cooking another 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and cayenne and cook 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant. Add the drained lentils, walnuts, panko and parsley.
- Using an immersion blender, coarsely puree the mixture, leaving some of the lentils and vegetables whole.
- Form mixture into 6 patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Place the patties on the grill pan and grill 1-2 minutes per side.
- Serve on whole-grain hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato, red onion and tzatziki sauce.
- Combine yogurt, avocado, cilantro, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add the cucumber and pulse several times, but do not fully puree.
- Serve with burgers.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen