Mango Pulihora with Brown Rice
Healthy & nutritious Mango rice (Mamidikaya Pulihora) made with Brown rice. It's a filling and hearty dish that is great to pack for lunch or as a meal.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 ginger (" piece, crushed)
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies (Green , slit vertically (adjust to taste))
- 1 mango (Small Raw , grated (about 1 cup))
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp chana dal
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 chilies (Dry red (adjust as per taste))
- ½ tsp Asafoetida (/ hing)
- to taste Salt
- Soak brown rice overnight or for at least 4~6 hours. Rinse and drain the water.
- In a medium size saucepan, combine brown rice with 1¾cups of water (adjust the water quantity depending on the type of rice you use). Add the crushed ginger, green chilies nd turmeric. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 25~30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and all of the water has evaporated.
- Set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, fish out the crushed ginger and green chilies and discard.
- Add grated mango and salt to the rice. Mix well to combine.
- In a small pan, heat 2tbsp oil, add chana dal, urad dal, peanuts, mustard seeds and red chilies. Once the seeds start to splutter and the dals turn golden, add hing and curry leaves.
- Pour this mixture over the rice and mix gently to incorporate all the flavors. Let sit for 10~15 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout