Maple Glazed Oatmeal Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Maple Glazed Oatmeal Cookies, a classic chewy oatmeal cookie dipped in a rich maple glaze ~ bake them now, or freeze for the holidays, they're a keeper!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 0.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- maple glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- 0.25 tsp maple extract
- Set oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Flatten lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. After cooling a couple of minutes, move to wire rack to cool.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you dip them, otherwise they may break in the process.
- Whisk the maple syrup into the sugar until it forms a glaze. Add enough syrup so that the glaze doesn't leave a trail when you lift the spoon and drizzle it down onto itself. Add the maple extract, if using. I like to transfer the glaze to a wide shallow bowl to make the cookie dipping easier.
- Dip each cookie straight down (head first) into the glaze and then lift straight up, letting some of the excess drip off. Turn the cookie upright and set on a rack to dry. Do a test cookie or two ~ if the glaze seems to thick, thin with a little water. If it's too thin, whisk in more sugar. You want the crackles to show through on the top of the cookie.
- Let the glaze dry before serving or storing.