Maryland-Style Crab Cakes
From a Chef's Kitchen
Maryland-Style Crab Cakes are from a recipe handed down several generations. They're the REAL DEAL!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small Onion
- 16 saltine crackers, crushed, plus more for coating crab cakes
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 0.25 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lump
- canola oil, for frying
- Heat butter in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft and light golden (do not brown). Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Stir in crushed crackers, dry mustard, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, egg, salt and black pepper and mix well. Fold in crabmeat.
- Form into 10-12 even cakes. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Coat cakes with cracker crumbs or panko. Heat canola oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown cakes 2-3 minutes per side or until nicely browned, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent over-browning or burning. Drain on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining cakes.