Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad (Balela)
The View From the Great Island
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 7 ounces canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ⅓ cup minced red onion
- ⅓ cup finely chopped bell peppers, assorted colors
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped black olive
- ¼ cup halved or sliced stuffed green olives
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 packed cup parsley leaves (minced)
- ½ packed cup mint leaves (minced)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sumac (more to taste)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Whisk together the dressing and taste to adjust any of the ingredients.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss lightly with the dressing.
- Serve with labneh, either along side, or on top, and fresh pita bread, toasted or not.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island