Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken
The View From the Great Island
Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken ~ this Japanese noodle bowl is an easy 30-minute meal full of protein and the healthy benefits of miso.
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels removed
- 0.5 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 cooked chicken breast ( sliced on the diagonal)
- 1 hard cooked egg (halved)
- 4 oz dry ramen noodles (use rice noodles for gluten free)
- 4 cups water
- 6 medium shitake mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 hot chili pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2-3 baby bok choy (sliced)
- 6 scallions (sliced)
- 2 tbsp red miso paste
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- Microwave the corn kernels for about a minute just to take the raw edge off and set aside.
- Set aside the bell pepper, chicken, and egg, in separate bowls, for garnishing the finished soup.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 4 minutes. Drain and put in two wide shallow soup bowls.
- Heat the water to a simmer and add the mushrooms and the hot pepper. Simmer for a couple of minutes.Add the bok choy and the scallions and simmer for a minute or so more, just long enough to bring out the bright green color.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the miso paste. (You do this off the heat so as not to destroy some of the beneficial nutrients in the miso paste) Stir well until the paste is completely dissolved.
- Pour the broth over the noodles in the two bowls.
- Garnish with the corn, red bell pepper, and egg halves.
- Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.