Mysore Kuzhambu is a delicious South Indian dal (lentil dish) that tastes amazing absolutely served with steamed rice and ghee.
- 0.75 cup Toor dal (Red Gram Dal)
- 0.5 cup Green Beans, cut into ½" pieces
- 2 tbsp Green Peas
- 1 small Potato, peeled an cut into ½" pieces
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 0.5 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 0.5 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Raw rice
- 4~6 dry Red chilies
- 0.5 tsp Asafoetida powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 dry Red Chili
- 6~8 curry leaves
- Pressure cook toor dal until very tender and set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients for spice paste into a fine paste, using little water.
- Microwave or steam the vegetables until tender.
- Combine the veggies and dal in a saucepan along with salt, turmeric and the spice paste. Add water, if needed and simmer on low heat for the flavors to blend.
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients for the tempering. Once the seeds start to splutter, add to the dal. Serve with rice.