Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies ~ these old fashioned style oatmeal cookies are crisp on the outside, chewy inside, and packed with tart cranberries.
- 1 cup shortening (I use butter flavored crisco)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (regular are fine, too.)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1¼ cups cup dried cranberries
- Set oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in the cranberries.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Flatten lightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. After cooling a couple of minutes, move to wire rack to cool. Note: these cookies may look slightly soft when done, they will firm up as they cool.