Orange Walnut Oat Bran Muffins
The View From the Great Island
Orange Walnut Oat Bran Muffins are healthy and delicious way to start the day. Wheat and oat brans give them lots of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- ¼ cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped Walnuts
- rolled oats and sugar for sprinkling
- set oven to 350F
- Spray or lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix the oat bran with the buttermilk, sour cream, orange juice, extract and zest. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together along with the walnuts and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the oat bran mixture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and walnuts.
- Fill 8 or 9 muffin cups and top with a sprinkle of oats and sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden, a toothpick will come out moist but not wet.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island