Peaches and Cream Breakfast Cake
The View From the Great Island
Peaches and Cream Breakfast Cake ~ a from scratch peach coffee cake loaded with chunks of fresh fruit for a light but indulgent breakfast, brunch, coffee break, or dessert.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 14 ounces diced FIRM peaches, no need to peel
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup sour cream
- 0.25 cup buttermilk
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Cream the soft butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl a couple of times.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla.
- Whisk the sour cream and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
- Add the flour to the mixing bowl alternately with the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until combined, but don't over mix.
- Fold in the peaches and turn into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top. Sprinkle the surface of the cake liberally with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Let cool on a rack and then release from the pan to slice. Serve as is, or with a dollop of whipped cream.