Peanut Butter Brownie Cake Squares
The View From the Great Island
Peanut Butter Brownie Cake Squares ~ this little dessert is a cross between a brownie and a blondie, with a good dose of peanut butter frosting thrown in for good measure!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 lb brown sugar (about 3 1/3 packed cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz bag of Nestle Dark Chocolate Chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound confectioner’s sugar ((1/2 of a 2 pound bag) )
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- about 1/3 - 1/2 cup hot water
- Set oven to 350F
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the shortening, peanut butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla for another couple of minutes.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave just until melted. Heat for 30 seconds, then stir and heat at 15 second intervals stirring to melt fully. Don;t over heat. Cool slightly.
- Add the cooled chocolate to the bowl and beat until blended.
- Fold in the dry mixture, just until combined. Spread into a 9x12 inch pan and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (but it will be damp) Don't over bake, as this is a brownie like cake.
- To make the frosting: Beat the sugar, peanut butter, shortening, salt and vanilla together, adding enough hot water to form a smooth, spreadable frosting. You can adjust by adding more sugar or more water as needed. Don't have it too thick or it won't spread nicely.
- Spread on the still warm cake, and let cool before slicing, if you can possibly wait.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island