Pistachio Cardamom Pound Cake
The View From the Great Island
Pistachio Cardamom Pound Cake features a classic Middle Eastern flavor pairing of warm cardamom spice and crunchy pistachios --- it's an unusual and delicious cake perfect with coffee or tea.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup ground pistachios
- 0.5 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 rounded tsp ground cardamom
- 0.25 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 1 drop (no more!) green food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 stick () unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- for the glaze, mix together:
- 0.66666666666667 cups confectioner's sugar,
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.5 tsp vanilla paste
- enough heavy cream for thinning
- Set oven to 350F
- Mix the first 7 dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and blend until smooth.
- Mix the buttermilk, food coloring (if using) and vanilla paste together in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the wet to the butter and sugar. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, beating just until blended with each addition.
- Turn the batter into a buttered and floured 9x5 loaf pan. I like to line it with parchment paper with overhanging edges to make it easier to remove for glazing and slicing.
- Bake for about 55 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick comes out without raw batter clinging to it. The top will be risen and lightly golden.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, and then remove to a rack.
- Glaze the cake when it is almost completely cool. Dust with crushed pistachio nuts.